Re: /media -> /run/media???

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Jon <jdisnard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 9:21 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> *sigh*. Then the default should have been to set
>> UDISKS_FILESYSTEM_SHARED to 1. Let people who *want* it in the new
>> "/run/media/$USER/mountdir" select it. And it's *still* a violation of
>> even the most recent filesystem hierarchy standards, which discuss the
>> use of "/run" and "/var/run" for pid files, not for removable media.
>
> Not a violation.
>
> From the beta spec:
>  "Programs may have a subdirectory of /run; this is encouraged for
> programs that use more than one run-time file. Users may also have a
> subdirectory of /run, although care must be taken to appropriately
> limit access rights to prevent unauthorized use of /run itself and
> other subdirectories." [1]
>
> The rationale here  is that media mounts for a seated user are part of
> that users run-time, or session.
> By placing them in an area exclusive to the seated user, the system as
> a whole is more secure.

And that could have been put at "/media/$username/$medianame". Not one
part of that security practice change required using "/run" Calling
stored content, typically used across multiple sessions and often used
for archival or non-writable storage, part of the "run-time" data is a
serious misreading of what the "run-time" data of the FHS spec
describes. The language is clearly aimed at PID data and similar
boot-time erasable data.

I've never personally used attachable media that I scrubbed, or
expected to be scrubbale, with everey reboot.