Re: firewalld from a server perspective

Hello,
----- Original Message -----
>  I'm maintaining a VPN server in fedora and I'm wondering whether
> I'd need to integrate firewalld to that. After reading the information
> in https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD I don't think I'm sure what
> I'm supposed to do.
I’d guess you only need to ensure a firewalld service definition for the VPN server exists.

> There are two issues:
> 1. Should my service turn on the firewall ports used by the server?
> As far as I understand, in order for the service to work out of the box
> I'd need to call firewall-cmd --port to enable the TCP and UDP ports
> used by the server, possibly from the systemd unit file (are there any
> hooks for that?).

A service manipulating the firewall for itself?  Definitely not.  Policy is for the administrator to define; applications opening ports for themselves completely redundant to calling bind().  (We can discuss whether it would be appropriate to ship with a configuration that enables the service by default, but a very likely answer is “no”; we don’t enable httpd by default, for example.)

> 2. What zone should the server put the clients they connect. Should
> there be some special vpn zone or should I use one of the existing ones?
> (none of the existing looks very reasonable for that).

How are the clients connected exactly?  If the traffic looks like it arrives on a virtual interface, a zone should be assigned to that interface, using the existing system-wide configuration for that interface (/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg*) if at all possible (this might require extra code I don’t know much about).

> However, what is not apparent to me as a fedora packager is how is that
> supposed to be handled. Should the package handle any requirements by
> firewalld (i.e., package is plug and play), or should the package defer
> the administrator to configure firewalld separately (i.e., package is
> installed but doesn't work by default).
Packages should defer to the administrator.  (Note that the F21 _Workstation_ product will ship with a different default, and some Cloud images might have yet another.  But in both cases the individual packages are not supposed to care.)

> I see that ssh and few other
> services are enabled by default by firewalld configuration itself,
Those are the exceptions from the general default of keeping services disabled.
    Mirek