Re: firewalld from a server perspective

Am 01.08.2014 um 14:27 schrieb Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos:
> I'm maintaining a VPN server in fedora and I'm wondering whether
> I'd need to integrate firewalld to that. After reading the information
> in https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD I don't think I'm sure what
> I'm supposed to do.
>
> There are two issues:
> 1. Should my service turn on the firewall ports used by the server?
> As far as I understand, in order for the service to work out of the box
> I'd need to call firewall-cmd --port to enable the TCP and UDP ports
> used by the server, possibly from the systemd unit file (are there any
> hooks for that?)

please don't do that without asking the user

and *never* do that in the systemd-unit because
even if the user decides to close the port you
would open it again - that's a no-go

installing whatever service don't mean automatically
it is intended to be reachable on any interface and
that is independent of the type of service

nobody but the admin / user knows the intention of
a installed package and it is bad practice have to
close ports