Re: DNF: why does it refresh metadata all the time

Am 19.06.2014 19:57, schrieb Jon:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> that's not the question
>> the question is why such traffic wasting *defaults*
>>

> I might be way off base here, but in an effort to make DNF go faster
> compared to YUM, the idea was made to have it pre-fetch metadata ahead
> of time, so when DNF command is finally run by the user, it skips a
> costly step... and *seems* faster. Although I believe YUM could do
> that also with a simple crontab. It is actually a nice feature of DNF
> or YUM, and I would suggest you embrace. Also, I'm skeptical there is
> very much network traffic, unless it downloads file lists by default?
> It's arguable if file lists should be pre-fetched, to do things like
> determine what package provides something... I would say no, but
> bandwidth is cheap. So there really is a benefit, and it mostly leads
> to continuously update metadata

if *that* is what is supposed to make DNF faster it's just a lie

if i am really interested in updates now i do "yum clean metadata && yum upgrade"
for many years simply because you don't know how accurat you metadata are

and *no* traffic is not cheap everywhere, by far not