Re: F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Am 17.06.2014 19:26, schrieb David:
> On 6/17/2014 12:50 PM, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
>> On 06/11/2014 08:20 AM, Jan Zelený wrote:
>>> The transition period is one reason why we want to keep the name dnf.
>>> We'd basically like to keep current yum around for users that have
>>> various scripts and stuff depending on it so they have some time to
>>> migrate to dnf. Also presenting dnf as a separate project forked from
>>> yum gives us better flexibility - for instance it's easier to drop
>>> obsoleted stuff because users don't have that high compatibility
>>> expectations. Thanks Jan
>>
>> Coming late to the discusssion and reading Richards Hughes blog prompted
>> me to comment.
>>
>> From my understanding, DNF was supposed to be a temporary name for
>> forked Yum  to prevent conflicts with the current version of yum until
>> its full stability. About DNF having a complete different python API
>> from yum, there is an overlooked historical example: GCC (GNU Compiler
>> Collection) and its fork ECGS (Experimental/Enhanced GNU Compiler
>> System) where the latter was in fact renamed GCC with full support of
>> FSF agreeing to drop the original GCC 2.x.
>>
> Excuse me. By now I doubt anyone but the Yum zealots really care. Just
> do it. Make the switch. The Yum zealots will find something else to
> complain about later. Perhaps the size of the default font?  :-)

before you call others "zealots" you should ask yourself if you
are just only a ordinary user with his single machine or have
to manage *a lot* of machines, some of them even RHEL5/RHEL6
and want consistency if a break has no good reason except
"because we can break what we want"

go out and work professional with IT systems and responsibility
and you react completly different to un-needed braks because
you have better things to do than "change for the sake of change"