Re: F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

On 17. 6. 2014 at 07:27:23, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 11:04 PM, Zing <zing@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Does yum have current developers/maintainers?  If so, actually obsoleting
> > yum seems kind of rude to me.  If that's the case why not just leave yum
> > as is?  Those that want to use yum use yum and dnf use dnf.
>
> I don't know the plans, but yum is in rhel7, so it will properly be there
> for many years, but it will properly only be bug fixes, no new feature and
> no support for soft requirements and other stuff to come.

Pretty much. Yum will remain to be maintained (mostly bugfixes) in RHEL but we
don't have any plans to put much more effort to it in Fedora. That's also one
of the reasons it will be obsoleted in a few releases - it will simply not
keep up with development in the area of rpm packaging.

Thanks
Jan