Re: F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Björn Persson
<bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Björn Persson
>> <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> As a system administrator I expect "yum install", "yum remove" and
>>> "yum update" to continue to work, and I expect to not have to rename
>>> or edit /etc/yum.conf after an upgrade. I'm sure I'm far from alone.
>>
>> That's why they're changing the name: it's a major architectural shift
>> in a core component, and continuing to call it yum, could be
>> confusing.
>
> That argument contradicts this quote from the feature page:
>
> | letting system administrators (including users who routinely manage
> | their packages using the legacy Yum) perform all common packaging
> | operations using DNF, with no or minimal and documented change to
> | the command syntax, apart from replacing the command name.
>
> The user interface can't both be so similar that the difference can be
> described as "no or minimal change", and at the same time so radically
> different that every user must be made painfully aware of the change.

Look for the weasel words. "minimal and documented change to the
command syntax," The *documented* changes, such as the handling of
dependencies and of "protected" components, are profound and dangerous
enough to justify a distinct. If the changes were less profound. It's
still a repodata back end, it's still RPM under the hood: It's
basically a refitted dashboard on the same old car.