Re: F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Björn Persson
> <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> As a system administrator I expect "yum install", "yum remove" and
>> "yum update" to continue to work, and I expect to not have to rename
>> or edit /etc/yum.conf after an upgrade. I'm sure I'm far from alone.
>
> That's why they're changing the name: it's a major architectural shift
> in a core component, and continuing to call it yum, could be
> confusing.

That argument contradicts this quote from the feature page:

| letting system administrators (including users who routinely manage
| their packages using the legacy Yum) perform all common packaging
| operations using DNF, with no or minimal and documented change to
| the command syntax, apart from replacing the command name.

The user interface can't both be so similar that the difference can be
described as "no or minimal change", and at the same time so radically
different that every user must be made painfully aware of the change.

--
Björn Persson