Re: F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Le 14/06/2014 15:59, Reindl Harald a écrit :

backed by what data?

Based on various contributors feedbacks.

don't you think if after i made clear my point of view a handful
people starting quibbling is the real reason for become a flamewar?
Let's say that's the case, are you compelled to answer them ?

tell that the two people who go repeatly off-topic

They may have a different opinion about it, but if you agree to calm down the discussion, I'm pretty sure they will.

what eactly is broken in the CLI?

I'll chose an example you care about: protected packages.
You pretend that DNF maintainers refused to support that, but actually, the answer is that they think it should be implemented as a plugin. I agree with you, most of the time, removing the running kernel is stupid but they are use cases where it makes sense. DNF maintainers felt that it should not be in core because it clutters the code and is restrictive for users.

A smarter move would be to (kindly) request that such plugin is written and enabled by default in F22.

that must be why "dnf remove kernel" kills your system

If I give you a riffle, and then you willingly shot yourself in the foot, don't complain.

it would be enough not breaking them or stop pretend you
create a operating system if Fedora drives in a direction
to be a only self contained appliance with no care for
other software running on tp of

See, you're exaggerating, yum was around for 11 years, there are not many Linux Distribution that could claim having kept the same default package manager around. (Even Debian switched back between apt-get/aptitude). We've updated many core components at a faster pace and with more disruptive changes than yum/DNF.

oh yeah - proposals

is that the same one pretending a lower memory footprint while
"dnf upgrade" on a VM with 192 MB RAM get killed by the kernel
while "yum reinstall \*" works fine?

250 MB RAM is a bad joke for a single process
i have servers wich are doing the ir complete workload with less over months

What happens when you use "dnf reinstall \*" ?

nice - threaten with moderation because you don't like someones opinion

If you're moderated, it won't be for your opinions (and *nobody* has the power to do that here) but for your behavior. Please notice, that I agreed that you raised some valid concerns. I prefer convincing you to be more considerate, and help you moving forward rather than requesting moderation (though, it won't be the first time and not by me). If you can't understand that your very behavior is preventing you to promote your agenda, well, I give up.

Regards,
H.