Re: [fedora-arm] ExcludeArch tracker doesn't appear to be effective

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:07 PM, drago01 <drago01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:52 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [...]
>> So moving on from that.... why don't you feel comfortable pointing to
>> the ARM port?
>
> The question wasn't really directed at me but adding my 2 cents ...
> basically on x86(_64) hardware I can point people at fedora and most
> of the time it will work.
> As for ARM if you get a random arm hardware chances are that it is
> simply not supported or needs some manual hacks to get used.
>
> That's not really a fedora specific problem but it makes ARM more of a
> "gimmick" to me  ...  until hardware vendors catch up.

And the firmware side of things too, this is going to much better for
a lot of devices in F-21 where the process will be much more straight
forward and more robust. The amount of devices that should be
supportable will be expanded by an order of magnitude too, as it
stands at the moment the devices have over quadrupled since F-20 GA.

In some cases this has been a case of chicken and egg and we've seen
active engagement from a number of angles here since F-20 has gone GA
and we'll see these improvements in new HW, in some cases already HW
that is available on the market. For me at least given the
fragmentation of the ARM market up until recently it's not
particularly surprising and we've been some what on the bleeding edge
of that. We were the first distro to adopt the multiplatform kernel
and keep with the upstream first that has served the project well but
this has often cost in HW support but saved us in that we've not had
to juggle 100s of crappy vendor patches in dozens of kernels in a
means that's not really scalable without a paid kernel team to support
it.

I'm hoping that we're finally on the downhill, and the level of
devices that are being added easily and "just work", seems to back up
that hope and while there's always a long way to go the experience
will be better in the F-21 timeframe. Again would love feedback and
constructive suggestions to how we can improve this.

Peter