Re: DISTRIBUTION tag seems wrong

On Wed, 2014-05-07 at 14:46 -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Wed, 7 May 2014 11:53:30 -0500
> Dennis Gilmore <dennis@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Not sure if this is bz worthy or just something to mention on a mail
> > > list. I was doing some experimenting on creating SWID tags out of
> > > the rpm database and noticed some inconsistencies. For example:
> > >
> > > # rpm -q --queryformat '%{DISTRIBUTION}\n' bash
> > > Fedora Project
> > > # rpm -q --queryformat '%{DISTRIBUTION}\n' xbmc
> > > Fedora 20
> > >
> > > Seems that rpmfusion has it right and the main Fedora build system
> > > is misconfigured.
> >
> > rpmfusion has it wrong, they should be using rpmfusion.  koji sets the
> > distribution tag for everything that is built in the buildsys to be
> > the same. for fedora that is "Fedora Project" as that is who is
> > building and distributing the rpms
>
> OK, maybe I am approaching this from the wrong direction. What I need
> to identify in the rpm database is the following:
>
> 1) product title - this would be the rpm package name
> 2) product version - again version from rpm
> 3) software creator - was thinking this was URL
> 4) software licensor - was thinking this was VENDOR
> 5) component_of - was thinking that this was DISTRIBUTION

Well, you can't, really. Especially 5). For instance,
libgssglue-0.4-2.fc19.x86_64 has so far been a "component_of" Fedora 19
and Fedora 20, and is currently a "component_of" Fedora Rawhide.

The distribution release(s) that a package will be a part of is not
something that can possibly be determined from the package itself,
that's just...not the way things happen. We do package builds, and then
decide on the make up of distributions later. At the point in time a
package is built - which is the time the metadata is created - we do not
and cannot know exactly what distribution(s) it will eventually be a
part of. (Consider also the case of a package built while a release is
still in pre-release phase, and later superseded: is it a "component_of"
that release, or not?)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey