Re: Systemd Slices and cgroups freezer controller

On Tue, 20.05.14 17:01, Tim St Clair (tstclair@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Greetings folks -
>
> I have 2 applications under my purview that rely on freezer controller
> behavior, but there is no clear route on how to enable the freezer for
> applications that are started under a Systemd.Slice.

systemd currently doesn't expose any support for the freezer controller,
since it's such an awful API (polling for completion in a sleep() loop?
YUCK! THis isn't 1995 anymore!). THis is being worked on the kernel
side, and as soon as the kernel exposes a saner interface to userspace
we can certainly expose this.

As long as that isn't done though the only way to do this is by
bypassing systemd and writing directly to the cgroupfs. It's strongly
recommended though to use the same paths in the freezer controller
hierarchy, to avoid that the structures get out-of-sync. (Also the
kernel cgroup rework does away with orthogonal trees per controller,
hence making use of this will make it hard to make your code work on
fedora, as soon as we have turned the kernel cgroup rework on in the
fedora kernel).

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat