Re: trimming down Fedora installed size

> On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 09:56 -0400, James Antill wrote:
> > On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 10:42 +0300, Marius A wrote:
> >
> > > Wow, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
> > > On Fedora 21, any way to apply these before installing to SDD from live usb
> > > image? e.g. open terminal, run fs filter's, then start the install?
> >
> >  So the way "yum fs filter" works is to change the yum configuration for
> > tsflags and override_install_langs.
> >  If you specify --installroot when running the filter command then yum
> > should write the new yum.conf within the installroot. Then when you run
> > the next installroot command, to actually install, it will pickup those
> > configurations and dtrt.
> >  You can also use --setopt to set them too, or .conf.blah if you are
> > using the API.
>
> (adamw-catching-up-on-devel-thread-necro-alert!)

 Cast of raise the dead succeeded! <Badge unlocked>

> but that would not be any use to a live install, because a live install
> doesn't actually do any package transactions, would it?

 There aren't any rpmdb transactions to do the copy ... but AIUI you can
still do them, right?

 There are also two parts to the filtering in yum:

yum fs filter documentation

...this tells yum to start filtering all the documentation from all
future transactions, but because of the way that this applies to removes
as well as installs in rpm[1] yum also has:

yum fs refilter
yum fs refilter-cleanup

...the former alters all the yumdb.ts_install_langs and
yumdb.tsflag_nodocs flags for the installed packages (without having to
do an action reinstall), so that those packages are marked as having
their docs/langs filtered (by yumdb, rpm -V will still complain).
 The later then deletes all the files that are on disk but should be
filtered.

[1] So if you do an upgrade the documentation for the new package is
filtered from being installed, but the documentation from the old
package is also filtered from being removed.