Re: first and only X needs to be on tty7

On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 12:21:05AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2014-05-06 11:04 (GMT+1000) Peter Hutterer composed:
>
> >On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 11:45:31AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >>I might not even care about the location of X sessions if only it
> >>wasn't so complicated to kill a broken one. Why doesn't Ctrl-Alt-BS
> >>not work any more?
>
> >http://who-t.blogspot.com.au/2009/04/zapping-server.html
>
> Are you by providing that link in any way suggesting that there's
> been a keymap change that needs a user adjustment (for KDE users
> anyway if not others)? It provides no help where to look to make it
> happen globally in a post-sysvinit world.

there is no "globally" and it has nothing to do with being post-sysvinit.
you can add it to the default options on startup with an InputClass section
(which we do, check /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf) so it'll work out
of the box until something overwrites the user's keymap. That something
could be gdm or your desktop environment, ymmv.

if you want it set for your user in GNOME, install gnome-tweak-tool, it's in
Typing, iirc. Other desktops have other ways to configure it, but I don't
know those off-heart.

> For years, probably since the time of that document, I've had
>
> 	Option	"DontZap"	"off"
> 	Option	"ZapWarning"	"off"
>
> somewhere in /etc/X11/xorg.con*. It used to work. Now it fails, but

DontZap disallows zapping completely, regardless of your xkb settings. But
you're setting it to what is the default, so it has no effect. ZapWarning
is not an option in Fedora, it's an old SuSE patch that never got merged
upstream. Your config has no effect since X server 1.6 or possibly longer.

> only in Fedora (at least as far back as F14, worked as recent at
> least as F8), so far that I've noticed.

F11 had this change, judging by the package names I linked to in that blog
post.

> They still get the job done in Cauldron's 1.15.99.902, Factory's
> 1.15.99.902.2 and Linux Mint LMDE (aka Debian Jessie/Sid) 1.14.3.

yeah, and Fedora stays close to upstream, so we don't have those patches.

Cheers,
   Peter