Re: [RFC] plans for initscripts in F22

Dne 25.4.2014 13:24, Reindl Harald napsal(a):

Am 25.04.2014 13:12, schrieb Lukáš Nykrýn:
Dne 25.4.2014 12:50, Reindl Harald napsal(a):
Am 25.04.2014 12:40, schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
On 04/24/2014 04:30 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:

Only those that are maintained directly inside Fedora.

Which is what we care about we cannot hold back progress in the
distribution based on someone, someplace, somewhere might be using
legacy cruff.

have you ever heard "if it ain't broken don't fix it"
network.service works fine until someone decides to break it intentionally

network initscript *is* broken

no - such generalizations are always wrong
it does not fit for every setup and it don't pretend that

proven by over 30 F19/F20 setups in a wide range from virtualized servers
with simple setups to physical hardware with multiple network cards, virtual
TAP devices acting as  routers, firewalls, WLAN accesspoints and VPN servers
with up to 5 decdicated openvpn-instances with their own keys, ports and
TAP devices it works for a lot of environments and they never will change
because that is why virtualization is used

During rhel7 beta I have discovered a lot of design flaws when people tried to use
it on some advance hardware. Boot in fedora is now quite asynchronous and network
is unable to cope with that. For example we have already removed the hotplug script.

network.service is not for hotplug
it is for static configurations

And I really don't want to end with NM on laptops, network on simple servers
and networkd elsewhere

i really won't end with NM on simple virtual servers with one virtual NIC
so just don't break network.service intentionally because it does not fit
your usecases

i don't demand you to you use network.service so don#t demand others
using NM and completly rebuild complex working setups - that's not
progress, that's just making development-noise to let people feel
there was done some work the hard way and they have to chew it

I agree. I also don't think that NM is the best solution for such use-cases. I believe that this is a place for networkd and I will not remove network initscript until networkd covers that.

Lukas