Re: F21 System Wide Change: BerkeleyDB 6

Dne 23.4.2014 20:23, Miloslav Trmač napsal(a):
> Hello,
>
>> = Proposed System Wide Change: BerkeleyDB 6 =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BerkeleyDB_6
>>

> At the FESCo meeting, we were unclear what happens to packages that don't
> get updated; will they sty at v5, or will they (immediately, or after a
> possible mass rebuild) start using v6?
>
> FESCo would prefer a transition plan in which we don't risk violating
> licenses by omission (e.g. requiring an active maintainer's action to move
> a package to v6, or having somebody sign up to verify all packages in case
> the owners forgot).
>      Mirek

Well, in the current plan (make libdb5 "compat" package and updating the
libdb to v6), after the mass rebuild the packages would start using v6.

We could do it other way around (keep libdb in v5 and make libdb6
package), but this approach invites future problems with consecutive
versions (v7, v8 probably should not be packaged in libdb*6*). Using
another naming scheme would take care of part of the problem.

I would actually prefer somebody to verify all packages that Require
libdb and work with maintainers of said packages to eventually update
their requires. If no one signes up to this, I will do it as part of the
change (but even the I could use some help).

If this proposal seems good to you, I will update the wiki page to
reflect the agreement.

Regards,
Jan
--
Jan Stanek - Red Hat Associate Developer Engineer - Databases Team