Re: default local DNS caching name server

On Sun, 2014-04-13 at 00:52 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2014-04-12 16:12 (GMT-0400) Simo Sorce composed:
> > On Sat, 2014-04-12 at 13:11 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> >> I've been doing that myself for years on installations that think my
> >> ethernet-only non-wireless LAN host connections need "managing" by
> >> NetworkManager, Resolvconf, Wicked or anything else that came along to
> >> automagically mis-configure it.
>
> > So you've gone out of your way to run a daemon but prevent it from
> > working as configured, instead of just reconfiguring it to do what you
> > need.
>
> What daemon did I go out of my way to run?

I had the impression you said you make the file immutable to prevent one
of the mentioned daemons above from touching it. Apologies if I
misunderstood.

> > I have Network Manager and it is extremely simple to configure it to
> > keep fixed DNS Servers as well as have static addresses for ethernet
> > interfaces.
>
> Simple without X running, where I normally perform my elementary
> configuration chores in an OFM? When I install, I install minimal, so there
> is no X available to tweak the installer's defaults.

I usually edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or similar)
for headless servers, what's hard about that ?

> > I find that today, except extremely rare case, all that people that
> > complain about network management tools interfering are people that
> > never tried or tried once *years* ago and never checked again.
>
> Maybe so, but then some of us don't need our networks "managed", only just
> configured at installation time, after which they are left untouched for the
> remaining lifetime of the installation.

Not a reason to throw mud at perfectly valid software and perfectly
valid use cases.

Defaults need to appeal to the majority of users, they can't please
everyone, or they wouldn't be just defaults, they'd be the only option.

We are discussing what defaults make sense for Fedora when it come to
DNS caching and DNSSEC, my strong belief is that a default DNS cache is
a very good idea for the majority of users. Users with special needs
like you can simply not bring it in. If you do a minimal install I
suspect it won't be present, as in F21 minimal installs will really be
tight afaiu.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York