Re: default local DNS caching name server

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 02:33:59AM +0800, P J P wrote:
>   Hello,
>
> > On Thursday, 10 April 2014 11:39 PM, P J P wrote:
> > I plan to file a feature/change request for this one. I got caught up with other
> > work this past week so could not do it. Will start with it right away.
>
>   Please see -> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Default_Local_DNS_Resolver
>
> It's a System Wide Change Proposal request up for review.
>
> I have set the target release as F22, because the proposal deadline for F21 was 08 Apr 2014 [1]. Besides, this change would require significant work on the related packages like NetworkManager etc. So F22 seems safer.
>
> In case if you spot any discrepancies or have additional inputs or links to relevant documents etc. please feel free to update the wiki page or let me know and I'll add it there.
> --
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/21/Schedule

Thank you!

I think there needs to be more emphasis on the /other/ benefit, the
whole reason I brought this up this time:

    While DNSSEC support has historically been a driving factor for
    implementing this, there is an even more fundamental need due to
    the poor performance of the system in case the first listed
    nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf fails for some reason.  It is
    shameful that Linux systems and applications in general still,
    after 20+ years, can't perform adequately after a primary DNS
    server failure.  The stub resolver in glibc which uses
    /etc/resolv.conf can decide that the first listed nameserver entry
    is down, but this decision has to be made over and over in every
    single process on the system that is doing DNS resolution,
    resulting in repeated long application hangs/delays.  We need an
    independent, system-wide DNS cache, and always point resolv.conf
    to 127.0.0.1 to solve this fundamental design problem with how
    name resolution works on a Linux system.  Windows has had a
    default system-wide DNS cache for over a decade.  It is about time
    that Linux catches up.

I can have a go at adding some text to the wiki.