Re: fedora-atomic discussion point: /usr/lib/passwd

For me the "factory" systemd stuff is actually very much about
containers. It's actually kinda my primary goal here: I want to allow
deployment of a single /usr in a thousnad containers, so that each
container's /etc and /var is automatically populated on boot, without
any manual interference of the admin.

The problem here is /etc

The same scheme is also useful on embedded and desktop/tablet/phone
setups though where we really want a "factory reset" scheme, the same
way as Android has it.

Yes but you seem to be equalling system/application defaults and system/application written overwrites or configuration changes to those configuration changes and overwrites performed by the user/administrator which is not the same thing, so while you could flush the system/application default settings and application written overwrites regardless if it's due to "factory reset" or due to them being upgrade to a new release you cannot do so with user/administrator overwrites because they want to retain their own settings after they flushed or upgrade the device or container so an single directory that serves both this purposes cannot exist and an new directory which clearly splits the purpose both of these is bound to emerge as things evolve further.

JGB