Re: fedora-atomic discussion point: /usr/lib/passwd

On Fri, 11.04.14 15:19, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On 04/11/2014 03:11 PM, drago01 wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
> ><johannbg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>/etc is "administrator space" and evolving into "administrator only space"
> >>which means eventually nothing will be placing or flushing or populating
> >>there  other then the administrators themselves.
> >>
> >>In other words if containers have to "populate" /etc they are doing it wrong
> >>hence the overall design is wrong
> >This thread is not about containers.
>
> And?
>
> The outcome is the same as things are evolving *nothing* would be
> adding,editing anything to /etc other then administrators
> themselves.

For me the "factory" systemd stuff is actually very much about
containers. It's actually kinda my primary goal here: I want to allow
deployment of a single /usr in a thousnad containers, so that each
container's /etc and /var is automatically populated on boot, without
any manual interference of the admin.

The same scheme is also useful on embedded and desktop/tablet/phone
setups though where we really want a "factory reset" scheme, the same
way as Android has it.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat