Re: Proposal: Don't show applications in the software center with XPM icons

On 03/07/2014 11:21 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
On 7 March 2014 14:08, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Microsoft, Apple, and Google set requirements that apps must follow if
they want to appear in the software center in order to ensure a good
user experience.
This is something I absolutely want to do. We already rate the
applications in GNOME 3.12 depending on how many positive attributes
they have (the star ratings) and I think it's fine to set a minimum
standard and slowly raise the bar over time. Showing 500 applications
that hits some absolute minimum level is much better than showing an
additional 500 basically crap applications.

This decision should belong to the user, though. It's one thing to default to showing only five-star applications (GTK2, icon with transparency, AppData with translations) while allowing the user to widen the criteria to show more applications. It is quite another thing to make an unilateral decision to take out an entire class that fails to satisfy some arbitrary requirement.

I do realize that the app installer becomes more complex, with the 'number of stars' selector, and having to make up application data that the app itself failed to provide, but I think cost/benefit justifies that effort.

I feel old and cranky arguing this point but the app markets for portable devices are a _counterexample_ to a thesis that pretty metadata guarantees better application quality. At least on portable devices the old-line stuff simply does not install so it is irrelevant; on Fedora it can be installed and would be useful to someone, if only they can discover its existence when using the pretty, default application installer. As another data point, I just introduced 'units' to another person that missed it in spite of being in the business of scientific data/calculations. Fedora should make it easier, not more difficult, for people to discover such useful things.