Re: Proposal: Don't show applications in the software center with XPM icons

Apps with ugly icons and ugly design results in bad user experience
IMO. They should not be displayed in the software center. If devs want
an icon, there are lots of icon designers out there who can contribute
one. You just need to ask.

On 7 March 2014 00:21, Tim Lauridsen <tim.lauridsen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not showing app, because they have bad looking icons, seems like a bad idea
> to me.
>
> what about using some cairo magic to merge the .xpm icon with some other
> .png frame to make it look better
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10983739/how-to-composite-multiple-png-into-a-single-png-using-gtk-cairo
>
> cairo should be able to load XPM, as far as I know
>
> Or just show some standard icon base on the app category
>
> Tim
>

> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> XPM is an old standard for icons used by a very small number of
>> desktop packages in Fedora. The XPM icons are normally small, mostly 8
>> bit, and usually without an alpha channel and look very bad in the
>> software center.
>>
>> I'm going to propose for F21 that we drop support for XPM in the
>> metadata extractor and only show apps with GIF, PNG and SVG icons. The
>> list of affected GUI applications is here:
>>
>> TeXmacs
>> cycle
>> flamerobin
>> gnurobots
>> linsmith
>> mup
>> pari-gp
>> pgadmin3
>> qtel
>> qucs
>> xsensors
>>
>> As usual, I'd like to push packagers to get upstream to ship a more
>> modern (and high resolution, *with* alpha channel) icon in PNG or SVG
>> format, but packagers can also just replace the icon referenced in the
>> .desktop file if upstream is unwilling / dead and a good replacement
>> is available.
>>
>> Comments welcome,
>>
>> Richard
>> --