Re: default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

On 3/3/14, 5:57 PM, Jon wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 1, 2014, at 1:19 PM, Jon <jdisnard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> The inability to shrink or reduce XFS is rather disappointing. I've
>>> seen a few sarcastic remarks along the lines of (paraphrased): why
>>> would anyone ever want to shrink a volume?
>>
>> In the context of server, and default installs, why is a valid question.
>>

>>> People do shrink volumes, and this lack of flexibility is an important
>>> consideration I feel was ignored in the Server WG decision.
>>
>> What is the use case for volume shrinking in a server context? Dual boot is a total edge case for servers.
>
> In the context of Fedora-ARM, people would regularly shrink ext4
> filesystem images to fit on different size storage.
> We would release an 8GiB image, but the ARM board might only have 4GiB
> eMMC or somebody has a smaller sdcard (stuff like that).

For what it's worth, this sort of shrinking & growing can lead to
some pretty pessimal fs layouts.

> We no longer release Fedora ARM rootfs tarballs, too hard to educate
> people to do the right thing with ACL's, xattrs, selinux, etc...
> Anyhow, it's actually a great way to ship a Fedora rootfs... just
> shrink the filesystem down to the smallest size, and allow the user to
> simply resize2fs the image into their storage.
> This would not be possible with XFS for the server variant of
> Fedora-ARM, and I feel represents a significant challenge to the ARM
> team.

I was never sure why shrinking was particularly required; maybe it's a
little harder or slower, but: do an install, see how much space it used,
make a new filesystem with 105% of that space (or so) and install onto that.
Done and done?

OTOH, the shrinkfs dance was a great way to find myriad bugs in resize2fs. ;)

Making a tiny xfs FS and then growing it significantly will also lead
to pessimal layouts there - we'll end up with many, many very small
allocation groups.

The shrink/grow thing was clever, but also a bit abusive from a filesystem
design point of view.

> As for the real world examples of shrinking, well drawing upon my
> experiences in the past at a managed hosting company:
>
> * VG consisted of ten 100 GiB san luns, customer asks one be removed,
> and provisioned to another server. We shrunk the filesystem, and
> removed the lun per request.
>
> Shrinking support significantly reduced the time needed for that
> maintenance window!
> Or put another way, shrinking is much faster than formatting and
> restoring data from tape to achieve smaller sized volumes.
>

> * customer over estimated the requirements for one mount (lets say
> /opt for example), and underestimated the requirements of another (say
> /var/log for example).
> This classic example of where customers fail to properly anticipate
> the storage requirements of their work-flow at the time of install,
> and they shrink one to grow another.
> (this might be solved by the thin provisioning idea)
>

> * customer wanted to shrink the SAN luns to a smaller size, but was
> averse to significant down time to restore from tape.
> ext4 shrinking to the rescue!

It's handy at times, but shrinking really scrambles data layouts.
If you don't care about performance, it's probably ok.

-Eric