Re: default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

On 03/01/2014 04:57 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
The servers were rented with a Fedora produced default/automatic/guided partitioning layout? If not, your example is out of scope. We are only talking about this context specifically, not arbitrary examples for shrinking a file system. The Fedora automatic/guided partition layout is a rootfs of 50GB, and any significant additional space goes to a separate /home. So you're saying you'd shrink a 50GB rootfs for encrypted data, rather than blow away the /home LV, make a new LV, encrypt it, then format it?

They were CentOS 6 machines. So perhaps the defaults are different however this is something that happened to me and not being able to shrink a fs would have been problematic / costly for me. Granted the default there was /boot / and swap so I had a 900G / and nothing else thus the shrinking of the / fs. So I suppose that if the servers were fedora and had a /home LV this particular situation wouldn't have been an issue.

I just wanted to point out that shrinking a partition is a valid use case is all. In our current default fedora layout I could still accomplish what I needed. But shrinking a fs is a valid use case...

Given the XFS shrinking issue it might even be nice to not allocate ALL storage, create /, swap and /home without taking up all storage and then let people enlarge what they need...

--
Nathanael