Re: default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

On 02/28/2014 07:56 AM, James Wilson Harshaw IV wrote:
Yet what was the main point that it wasn't ready yet? My point is we should choose the best solution, even if it takes a little more work to get it up and running. I want to know what it will take to make sure btrfs is good to go as default and then see if the end result will out weigh the effort put in.

-James

Having more people jump in to help on btrfs is always welcome - it should be a choice for users, even if not the default choice.

Also note that it is not just an issue of "ready" or not, it has some specific workloads that cause even a rock solid instance of btrfs heart-ache.

People often get confused with the arrival of a new choice and obsolescence of the "old" technologies. That is definitely not the case with XFS or ext4, both have a ton of active developers and lots of new features. On top of the many new device mapper targets, we have some very compelling features for the "mature" stack :)

Ric