Re: Fedora.next in 2014 -- Big Picture and Themes

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 11:20:33AM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> I for one waited (and still wait) for a text that gives a brief
> overview; something like a four or five para text which outlines the
> consequences and how Fedora will look like in the end. Something easy to
> understand; so easy that people can grasp it who are not involved in
> Fedora, but know what Linux is.

Well, we're still working on that in a smaller sense -- developing a _part_
of that is the current task for the working groups. That will be done in a
matter of weeks, and we can put together something that shows some of the
specifics. But in a larger sense, there's no description of the end state
because we're still figuring it out. We're trying to gather everyone's input
and effort to make a coherent community plan. That's the point of this
thread in the first place.

> Then provide some more text that then goes into the details. But keep it
> short and easy to read, too. Most of us have a stressful day and the
> attention span is quite short. So even the longer stuff should not take
> more than 10 minutes to read (or provide something to put 12 more hours
> into a day, then the text can be a bit longer ;-) ).

So eventually, yes, this would be a great thing to have. But right now, we
have people on the one hand concerned that there are no specifics and on the
other hand worried that there's some sort of sudden sealed deal. But really,
the reason that there are no specifics is because it's simply still being
worked on. We _have_ decided to go in a certain direction with the three
target products and the env & stacks and base design working groups, but
we will take the next steps as we get to them.

Eventually, that _will_ lead to a place where the text you're looking for
can exist.

--
Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>