Re: Fedora.next in 2014 -- Big Picture and Themes

Hi,

* Although it's certainly not the only reason, Fedora as _solely_ a hobbyist
   desktop is not ideal for an upstream for RHEL server and cloud products.

No other system can be reinstalled / upgraded every six months. That single fact IMHO kills all other use cases.

If I need a stable Fedora-like server, I get CentOS. It's kind of a Fedora-LTS.

* General trend in Linux towards the base distribution being "boring" and
   not mattering. I asked several dozen different people at a gigantic Amazon
   conference why everyone was using the distribution they chose instead of
   Fedora, and the answer was almost universally "oh, I don't care; that's
   not really an interesting question because there's nothing important at
   that level".

All (of the big) distros are mature today. At the early days one chose his distro by drivers, by installation-tool, by packages, ...

Nowady every distro has a working installer, has a bazillion packages, ... they basically all work.

So non-technical topics become more relevant: is there a LTS-release, can I start with a free(beer) distro like centos and later change to a paid-support-modell (RHEL) without rebuilding all my configs and apps, how good is the documentation, ...

The real innovation is happening on the desktop: power management, Wayland, Mesa, wifi/3g/4g, color-management, pulseaudio, ...

Now, that might not be really _true_, but it's definitely an
   increasing perception. How can we either fight that perception, or make
   sure that Fedora expands to also do work in the "interesting" space?

I don't know anything about the statistics on Fedora contributors and their jobs. But if there are lot of hobbyists, students, ... these people are not able / interessted in large enterprise stuff like OpenStack, ... they work on devel-tools like languages and desktop-stuff, that's what they are using.

If Fedora want's more innovation in those topics, Fedora must possibly reallign the devel-community. Most enterprise-project like libvirt, freeipa, Spacewalk, ... are done by Redhat-people ? Or am I totaly mistaken there.

cu romal