Re: Fedora.next in 2014 -- Big Picture and Themes

On 28/01/14 14:42, Matthew Miller wrote:

* Fedora's drift towards being primarily a desktop OS (with other use areas
   considered secondarily if at all) ends up practically restricting uses
   which people really do want Fedora for. That's bad for people who want to
   use Fedora in innovative ways in server and cloud environments. Even
   though we have a lot of sysadmin users and there are many examples of real
   Fedora in production server environments, every time over the past decade
   that someone has tried to figure out what Fedora Server might actually
   mean, it's gotten stalled. This has left many sysadmins feeling like
   either Fedora isn't a place that they can meaningfully contribute, or else
   that their job is to be the Voice of No. Even when one doesn't want to
   just be the project's "stop energy", it sometimes felt like there was no
   other option. Fedora.next should *give* that option for postive
   contribution.

I think the reason that people have trouble defining what "Fedora Server" might mean is that it simply doesn't make a huge amount of sense as a thing.

A desktop has some kind of common meaning that everybody can agree on in terms of expecting a window manager and certain basic applications but everybody will want something different of a server, and indeed will want something different on each server.

To me what I would want of "Fedora Server" is simply a solid base OS and a solid set of package I can install on top of that depending on what I want each particular server to do - sometimes that will be postgres, sometimes it will be mysql and apache, sometimes it will be exim and spamassassin.

The thing is, for the most part, that is what we already have!

The biggest reason for people preferring, say, Ubuntu over Fedora for servers is probably not the existence of something called "server" but rather the extended stable lifetime offered by LTS releases.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/