Re: Fedora.next in 2014 -- Big Picture and Themes

On Thu, 2014-01-23 at 19:03 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 03.01.2014 19:14, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > […] So those are my things. What do you think about them? What
> > else should be included? What different directions should we
> > consider? How will we make Fedora more awesome than ever in the
> > coming year?
>
> Okay, I'll bite (after thinking whether writing this mail is worth it):
>
> I'm still undecided if I overall like Fedora.next or fear it. But more
> and more I tend to the latter position and wonder if it might be wise
> to slow things down: Do one more Fedora release the old style in round
> about June;

NO NO NO NO NO NO OH CHRIST NO.

Actually, I agree with quite a lot of what you're saying; I think 21 is
too early for this .next stuff and have done for a while. But that
doesn't mean that if we punt .next we can release in June. Several teams
have been working on the explicit understanding - as agreed by FESCo at
an earlier meeting - that F21 will not be released until, at the
earliest, late August *no matter what happens*. We cannot change that to
June now. It would cause extreme inconvenience for QA and other teams,
which in turn would result in a bad release.

I'm fine with punting on .next, but I am absolutely not fine with
releasing in June. Even if F21 is an old-school release, it needs to be
in late August or later, as has already explicitly been stated.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey