Re: dnf versus yum

On 01/02/2014 04:36 PM, Richard Vickery wrote:
On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:28 PM, yersinia <yersinia.spiros@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:yersinia.spiros@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

     >5 PM, poma <pomidorabelisima@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:pomidorabelisima@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
     > On 02.01.2014 20:36, Steve Clark wrote:
     >
     >> Also at least yum stood for something - Yellowdog Updater, Modified - as opposed to being some
     >> nonsensical conglomeration of letters. The only thing I am aware of that dnf means is "did
    not finish".

     > Did Not Finish
     > Do Not Forget
     >   <..snip..>

     > poma

    I do not think it is nice to speak so bad about a project. The
    objective are clear,if something can be improved everyone can or  must
    contribute.The criticisms are useless.We are talking about open source
    software, do not forget.

    Best regards

On the contrary: speaking negatively about a project may be fine so long as the context is clearly
about such project, as it is only the project that is being harshly criticised. Where a problem
often occurs is  when such criticism crosses over into affecting an individual.

From the fedoraproject.org wiki:
  "Note about the name "DNF": it has no relevant meaning, meant as a project name only"
It seems rather unfortunate that as a random collection of letters, DNF
currently has primarily negative connotations:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNF
  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=DNF
  https://www.google.com/#q=dnf

As a runner, DNF already has a specific meaning for me.
If you're picking random letters for a project to avoid
existing collisions, you might also consider tossing the
set back into the bag they have a well-established meaning
in other domains.  Just saying - it might do well to change
the name to something with positive or at least neutral
collateral meaning.  "yum" probably had some positive benefits
in this regard.

Cheers, -Bob Arendt