Re: Self Introduction and koan de-orphaning

On 12/17/2013 07:55 AM, Stephen Herr wrote:
On 12/16/2013 03:48 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
On 12/16/2013 12:22 PM, Stephen Herr wrote:
On 12/13/2013 03:19 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
On 12/13/2013 12:49 PM, Stephen Herr wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm Stephen Herr (sherr).

I noticed that the koan package is orphaned in Fedora and that it
has one or
two fairly important bugs. I'm a developer on the Satellite /
Spacewalk
projects and I've been packaging / maintaining koan for over a year
with them,
so I figured I could contribute back to the OS I've used for so
long by
picking them up. Looking forward to contributing to Fedora's
greatness!

-Stephen

I guess I don't quite understand - koan is a sub-package of cobbler.
Is it
getting split back out?  Or are you going to be helping to maintain
the koan
part of cobbler?

I was operating under a misunderstanding. Bugzilla is currently
marking koan
bugs as owned by the orphan owner. You are correct that koan was
merged into
cobbler. I thought that since the bugs were marked as owned by the
orphan
owner and koan is marked as orphaned in the package database that
somehow the
koan rpm was orphaned even though the cobbler package is not (usage
of "rpm"
and "package" very intentional).

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&classification=Fedora&component=koan&list_id=2014071&product=Fedora&query_format=advanced

I think what needs to happen is that the cobbler package maintainer
needs to
be marked as the default bug owner for koan bugs in bugzilla, and any
existing
koan bugs be re-assigned. Anyone know who I have to talk to about
doing that?

-Stephen

I've reset the koan bugs to be cobbler bugs:

bugzilla modify -c cobbler --reset-assignee --comment='koan is a
sub-package of cobbler' 963962 977070 1021047 824476 868050 788890 540998

I believe Dennis Gilmore is our bugzilla person - perhaps it would be
possible to remove the koan component at this point.  Not sure.

I wish you hadn't, I don't think that's the correct thing to do. Koan is
a distinct rpm from cobbler and it's entirely reasonable to have koan
installed on a system and not have cobbler installed. There needs to be
a bugzilla component for it so that people can report bugs, it just
needs to have its default-assignee be the cobbler package maintainer. It
is not reasonable to expect people to know what package happens to build
the koan rpm in order to report bugs. The bugs are with koan, not with
cobbler, and they should remain marked as such.

-Stephen

No - bugzilla components correspond to source package. The only reason that there is a koan component in bugzilla is that there used to be a koan source package. Yes it is confusing, but that is the way of things.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion@cora.nrpms.  Thewra.com