Re: unaccessability

On Sat, 2013-11-16 at 02:42 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> As for setting the preferred terminal emulator, the user's desktop's system
> settings should include that. (KDE System Settings does under "Workspace
> Appearance and Behavior" / "Default Components".)

But the point is that this is not, AFAICT, standardized in any way:
there's no XDG spec for how such a preference should be stored or read.
So there's no simple, trouble-free, desktop-agnostic way to simply say
'run the user's preferred terminal emulator'.

GNOME has a few 'preferred apps' settings left but I don't think they're
exposed in the UI anywhere. There are the following dconf keys:

org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.office.tasks "Default tasks
application."

org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.office.calendar "Default calendar
application DEPRECATED: This key is deprecated and ignored. The
preferred calendar application is the application handling the
text/calendar mime type."

org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal "Terminal program to use
when starting applications that require one. DEPRECATED: This key is
deprecated and ignored. The default terminal is handled in GIO."

I don't know how you're supposed to set it "in GIO". But anyway, however
it is, I doubt it's doing it anything like how KDE does it, or if
there's any kind of framework which lets you say "I don't care if the
user's running GNOME or KDE, just run their preferred terminal
emulator". Though I suppose, going back to the current question, if
desktops do have a preference and apply it when launching .desktop files
which specify that they're for console applications, then things are
kind of working as expected.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey