Re: F21/F22 System Wide Change: Python 3 as the Default Implementation

El Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:12:40 +0200
Jan Zelený <jzeleny@xxxxxxxxxx> escribió:
> On 18. 10. 2013 at 09:35:36, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> > > Until Anaconda is in Python 2, DNF will support both Py2 and Py3.
> > > Once Anaconda switches to Py3 DNF will officially drop support for
> > > Py2. Same for hawkey.
> > >
> > > At least that's the plan but we have no problem prolonging the
> > > Py2/Py3 period for a Fedora release or two. Though it would be
> > > very preferable to have a solid set date.
> >
> > Okay -- deciding on that date will likely also need to coordinate
> > with releng, fedpkg maintainers (dgilmore who is also releng), and
> > the mock maintainers.  There may be other projects I'm not thinking
> > of (yum-utils and createrepo are going to be ported to DNF-python3
> > by the packaging team already?  )  I'm concerned about the tools
> > used to build fedora and the tools used by package maintainers and
> > testers to create packages.
>
> Some of them will be rewritten to Py3 but for example createrepo has
> now a C implementation and we are planning for that one to be the
> default.
we can not change to createreo_c without making sure it has feature
parity first. While some releng tools call createreo and can be
changed easily, there is also some using the python api. Right now it
also does not have any deltarpm support, which is critical for our
adoption.

> > Oh also -- I've been assuming that the DNF python2 bindings will be
> > compatible with the yum API.  Is that the case?
>
> Sort of. The problem is that while yum has some sort of API, there is
> no official and well documented one, therefore some plugins and tools
> built on top of yum use some of its internals. The plan in this area
> is to define an API as similar to the old one as possible well before
> F21 and then dedicate one whole release to adapt tools using yum to
> dnf.
>
> Does that make sense?

sure, hopefully all the releng tools are not using yum internals

Dennis