Re: F21/F22 System Wide Change: Python 3 as the Default Implementation

On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 09:12 +0200, Jan Zelený wrote:
> On 18. 10. 2013 at 09:35:36, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > Oh also -- I've been assuming that the DNF python2 bindings will be
> > compatible with the yum API.  Is that the case?
>
> Sort of. The problem is that while yum has some sort of API, there is no
> official and well documented one, therefore some plugins and tools built on top
> of yum use some of its internals. The plan in this area is to define an API as
> similar to the old one as possible well before F21 and then dedicate one whole
> release to adapt tools using yum to dnf.

Does it really have to be similar, though?

I wrote a tool based on the Yum API at $dayjob, as well as two plugins.

And I'll be honest, most of the Yum API is terrible. Or maybe it's just
the fact that it's completely undocumented, and as a result I didn't use
the "good" parts.

But if we're going to be changing the tool and the language completely,
wouldn't it make more sense to design a nicer API at the same time?

--
Mathieu