Re: how to withdraw glusterfs from epel?

On 10/18/2013 10:09 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 10:03:28 -0400
"Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kkeithle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Okay, I'm okay with that. How about instead of a /etc/yum.repos.d/
file if it's a /usr/share/doc/glusterfs.README containing
instructions for how to use the community GlusterFS yum repo?

Are you allowed make a people repo?
http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/

Like http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/kkeithle?

That's not what I want.

My vision is to make it easy for (RH)EL users to find glusterfs. I already experience lots of people who don't/can't find the repos we already have on download.gluster.org or even my old fedorapeople.org repos.

People install Fedora, yum {install,search} glusterfs, they're golden.

Right now people who install RHEL (or CentOS), add EPEL, yum install glusterfs, and get an outdated version of glusterfs (reasons it's outdated already given previously). They're not golden.

Soon, if I have to fully withdraw glusterfs from EPEL, they'll install and get the client side gluster bits from the base RHEL channel. They're semi-golden.

But I think it's be a good thing if they did a yum search and saw a glusterfs-community-doc package (containing the README) that that would be a reasonable alternative to thinking they were stuck with only client side or nothing.

Or I just withdraw it completely and RHEL users will live mostly in the dark until they find the community YUM repos by chance. (But I will add that the nice people at CentOS are bending over backwards to add it to their centos-extras repo and CentOS users who are looking for glusterfs will have, IMO, a much nicer experience.)

--

Kaleb