Re: prelink performance gains

Am 16.10.2013 15:20, schrieb Jan Kratochvil:
> On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:11:13 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> you really do not understand the difference between faster *running*
>> code and some micro-seconds at *startup* of the application?
>
> You do not understand overall system performance is increased when _every_
> startup of a program 100 times a second is faster?

and you do not understand that i switched from prelinked system to
non prelink-system and carefully looked at the user expierience by
opening large applications, login in my desktop or boot the system

well, you can tell me calculations of 200 ms here and there
multiplied over 24 hours but this does not make sense because
you do not start and stop large applications all day long
nor do you realize 200 ms now and 200 ms 5 minutes later
by starting another application

>> you really do not understand the difference between a *one* time
>> compile-optimizig for the binary shipped to *all* users between
>> the prelinking-overhand on the user side?
>
> You still do not understand the nightly prelink run is absolutely zero cost?

you still do not understand that it is only a nightly in your small
world but not for the majority of users where the damned cron job
starts at times with workload because the machine do not run 24
hours a day and the theory it starts only when there is no load
remains theory: teh cronjob does *not* and *can not* know if i
start 5 seconds later a heavy task

*additionally* for machines running 24 hours a day prelink is
completly useless crap because you do not close all your
daily work application if you don't shutdown the machine
and since the application is running at the next morning
there is *no* startup which could be boosted at all