Re: prelink performance gains

Am 15.10.2013 19:32, schrieb Jan Kratochvil:
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 18:27:23 +0200, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
>> In spite of this fact, I believe that they are enough to demonstrate
>> that prelink is not resulting in any big gains anymore.
>
> Nobody says prelink brings _big_ gains.  It is just a negligible performance
> and negligible battery optimization nowadays.
>
> I just do not understand why to give up on that negligible optimization when
> it brings no disadvantages.
>
> The disagreement here is whether it brings some disadvantages or not.
>
> So the discussion should rather be if the average (default) user faces the
> claimed disadvantages or not (*), and therefore whether prelink should be
> installed by default or not.

* look at the amount of updates and how they hit prelinked libraries until prelink ran again
* look at the "lsof | grep DEL | grep /usr" output caused by prelink
* look at the wasted cycles of running prelink itself and compare to the gain

in the past on notebooks i hated prelink and god bless the maintainer which
removed the prelink-require out of rkhunter which was pervert

most of the time i noticed the weak performance while prelink ran
between that i got alarmed all the time by rkhunter-notifies
*because* i should prelink this and that file

hence - at the end of the day prelink itself consumed more CPU
and did more harm as it ever could have gained performance