Re: Yum dependency resolving & remove_leaf_only

> On Saturday, 12 October 2013 10:43 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> *why* should it be addressed in yum or DNF?
>
> if a package pulls un-needed dependencies the package has
> to be fixed and *not* worked around it - period

   Yes, agreed. But that might probably involve fixing the package review process wherein a new package is introduced. Once the package is approved and enters repositories, subsequent updates could introduce new dependencies. These updates do not go through any manual review process. Spotting dependency errors by inspecting the .spec file seems like quite a task, at least it's difficult to spot without manual inspection.

One solution could be for Yum(8) or DNF to only list the dependency packages to caution a user that if you remove the said package, these many packages would be affected.  But prompt him to remove only the selected package and not 100 others along with it.

Ie. If I ask to remove package bluez,  do let me know that 100 other packages might not work, but prompt me to remove only and only package bluez and not the 100 other affected packages. This would significantly simplify user's decision making and thus improve user experience too.

---
Regards
   -Prasad
http://feedmug.com