Re: python-urlgrabber, yum: blatant disregard for packaging guidelines and common sense

the original urlgrabber maintainer left long time ago, but the yum team adopted the code, because it was critical to yum, so this is cause why there has been no upstream release.
yum shold make upstream releases in more frequently, instead of adding very large patches to latest git HEAD.
yum-utils releases was made by me, but I have not had so much time to spend on yum-utils, so there has not been any releases for a long time.

dnf is not in a state to replace yum yet, and it will take awhile to get there, a lot of tool uses yum api and dnf has no stable api yet, so yum will properly stay here for years to come
so there is no excuses to not make upstream releases more frequent :)

Tim

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Jan Zelený <jzeleny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8. 10. 2013 at 19:06:21, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> I was looking for examples of nice packages for upcoming packaging workshop
> we are doing in Brno. I made the terrible mistake of doing fedpkg clone
> python-urlgrabber.
>
> If there was some normal packaging issue I'd most likely just file a bug in
> bugzilla, but this made my blood boil. This is one of our core components!
>
> snippet from spec:
> Source0: urlgrabber-%{version}.tar.gz
> Patch1: urlgrabber-HEAD.patch
>
> Guess what? The patch is 100k big. The tarball is actually smaller! Of
> course the package does not even follow post-release versioning
> guidelines[1]. The only good thing is that the tarball sha actually matches
> upstream released version from 2009.
>
> Now I *get* that yum uses new features of urlgrabber. But package maintainer
> is also upstream developer. Just do the damn release ffs! Oh fun fact: yum
> is actually in the same boat.

A sad remain from times long gone. Yum and related components don't do
upstream releases, I'm not sure why besides historical reasons (James might
know a bit more on this one). However fixing this now would be like fixing a
sail on a boat that has a hole in the trunk.

Yum is not going to be in Fedora for much longer and starting releases in
upstream about a year before dnf takes over makes only a little sense to me.

Jan