Re: python-urlgrabber, yum: blatant disregard for packaging guidelines and common sense

On 8. 10. 2013 at 19:06:21, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> I was looking for examples of nice packages for upcoming packaging workshop
> we are doing in Brno. I made the terrible mistake of doing fedpkg clone
> python-urlgrabber.
>
> If there was some normal packaging issue I'd most likely just file a bug in
> bugzilla, but this made my blood boil. This is one of our core components!
>
> snippet from spec:
> Source0: urlgrabber-%{version}.tar.gz
> Patch1: urlgrabber-HEAD.patch
>
> Guess what? The patch is 100k big. The tarball is actually smaller! Of
> course the package does not even follow post-release versioning
> guidelines[1]. The only good thing is that the tarball sha actually matches
> upstream released version from 2009.
>
> Now I *get* that yum uses new features of urlgrabber. But package maintainer
> is also upstream developer. Just do the damn release ffs! Oh fun fact: yum
> is actually in the same boat.

A sad remain from times long gone. Yum and related components don't do
upstream releases, I'm not sure why besides historical reasons (James might
know a bit more on this one). However fixing this now would be like fixing a
sail on a boat that has a hole in the trunk.

Yum is not going to be in Fedora for much longer and starting releases in
upstream about a year before dnf takes over makes only a little sense to me.

Jan