Re: [HEADSUP] Atlas changed libraries

Frantisek Kluknavsky wrote:
> People with interest in secondary architectures might oppose that.

Which architectures are the problem? OpenBLAS currently supports:
| 2. Supported Architecture
|
|    X86  : Pentium3 Katmai
|                    Coppermine
|           Athlon  (not well optimized, though)
|           PentiumM Banias, Yonah
|           Pentium4 Northwood
|                    Nocona (Prescott)
|         Core 2   Woodcrest
|      Core 2   Penryn
|           Nehalem-EP  Corei{3,5,7}
|      Atom
|           AMD Opteron
|      AMD Barlcelona, Shanghai, Istanbul
|      VIA NANO
|
|   X86_64: Pentium4 Nocona
|         Core 2   Woodcrest
|      Core 2   Penryn
|           Nehalem
|       Atom
|           AMD Opteron
|      AMD Barlcelona, Shanghai, Istanbul
|      VIA NANO
|
|   IA64  : Itanium2
|
|   Alpha : EV4, EV5, EV6
|
|   POWER : POWER4
|           PPC970/PPC970FX
|           PPC970MP
|     CELL (PPU only)
|           POWER5
|           PPC440   (QCDOC)
|           PPC440FP2(BG/L)
|           POWERPC G4(PPC7450)
|           POWER6
|
|   SPARC : SPARC IV
|           SPARC VI, VII (Fujitsu chip)
|
|   MIPS64/32: Sicortex

| Additional support CPU:
| x86/x86-64:
| * Intel Xeon 56xx (Westmere): Used GotoBLAS2 Nehalem codes.
| * Intel Sandy Bridge: Optimized Level-3 BLAS with AVX on x86-64.
| * Intel Haswell: Optimized Level-3 BLAS with AVX on x86-64 (identical to
|   Sandy Bridge).
| * AMD Bobcat: Used GotoBLAS2 Barcelona codes.
| * AMD Bulldozer: x86-64 S/DGEMM AVX kernels. (Thank Werner Saar)
| * AMD PILEDRIVER: Used Bulldozer codes.
| MIPS64:
| * ICT Loongson 3A: Optimized Level-3 BLAS and the part of Level-1,2.
| * ICT Loongson 3B: Experimental

(and as I said, ARM is being worked on as we speak, so it's not listed yet,
but will be very soon).

> Perhabs if we ensure binary compatibility then we can make them freely
> interchangeable.

I also like the binary compatibility approach (used for ATLAS in the past:
you build against reference BLAS/LAPACK and then get whatever one you want
pulled in at runtime), but Susi Lehtola wrote that it is not supported (or
for ATLAS, not anymore) by upstream.

        Kevin Kofler