Re: Fedora/Redhat and perfect forward secrecy

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

I am certainly not ignoring legal concerns. While there are some
patented EC cryptographic techniques, the basic infrastructure
including ECDH over prime fields was first published back in 1984 and
is not patentable.

The IETF has published an extensive RFC covering the foundations of
ECC which carefully shows to-old-to-be-patentable direct citations:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6090

If Redhat is aware of a specific patent concern here, they're keeping
it secret from the public. The continued claims that there are legal
issues here behind basic support really don't make a lot of sense,
especially considering the functionality in RHEL.

[not speaking for Red Hat]

You seem to believe only valid legal claims can put Red Hat in court.

(I would also note that the support in RHEL somewhat oddly support
_only_ the parameters from the NSA, which doesn't quite play into the
expressed concern about backdoors)

[again not speaking for Red Hat, no idea of any arrangements]

I can come up with various commercial non-conspiracy theories for this.
For example, who pays the lawyers when a patent troll arrives.

Paul