Re: Dracut HostOnly or ConfigurationOnly?

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
i think you misread the post - IMHO the intention was that once again
a feature with zero benefit was acknowledged without caseful think about
the negative impact

And I think you once again exaggerate, Harald.  Just because the feature doesn't offer benefits to you does not mean it isn't useful at all. Given that it's fairly easy to switch between the various modes, I think that essentially proves that those who made the change thought through the possible negative impacts, and made it fairly easy for a systems administrator to choose how they're like their system to work.

To drive the point home to its logical conclusion -- we're never going to have *one* Fedora configuration that works perfectly for everyone.  Instead, we're going to have some level of configuration to make it as painless as possible to allow competent administrators to configure their systems in a manner that works best for them.  Is the way you reconfigure the initrd file ideal?  I'd probably argue that it isn't ideal, but works well enough for now.  But could I in all honesty say that the feature has no benefit, and that the developer(s) who made the change didn't think about the possible negative impacts?  No, I can't.

--
Jared Smith