Re: Schedule for Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2013-08-14)

On 08/15/2013 03:55 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

On 15 August 2013 15:48, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Oh, and to clarify - upgrades were supported even before then, but
required booting Anaconda from new install media. That's been true since
the Red Hat Linux days, so years before Fedora even existed.

I believe we are arguing over words which have different meanings depending on what each person is talking about.

Agreed

Does supported mean:

a) We guarantee that upgrade works always and without problems?

This is what end users think of when they read "Officially supported" with even higher demand if they are existing RHEL customers...

b) We guarantee that upgrade code works but may encounter problems if you have done stuff other than a default install/stuff.

Some form of middle ground of this is what we have currently implemented in QA and test for but even there we cannot "guarantee" anything, like if we take the default desktop installation how well can Gnome itself handle upgrades between releases ( think for example *conf schema changes here )

Now with rings and "servers" I'm afraid we ( as in QA ) have to start officially support which ever application are in it which often bring incompatible changes with them.

c) We guarantee that the upgrade code is there, and it should work but you should know what you are doing

This is what the QA attitude used to be, before "official upgrade support".

d) There is some code, we worked on it, you can activate it, but that is all we can say.

Each of those has been said of upgrade by various developers over the years (Jeremy Katz would try to get it down to D but Gafton would want it to be b) and every new person on anaconda would say they wanted to get to a someday.)

What's alarming with the decision to officially support upgrades that it was done without consulting the QA community, which are the ones that have to come up with the test cases,make the necessary changes to the release criteria, essentially have to do all the work and above all test it.

With the upcoming changes we have to ensure all the supporting sig within the project ( qa,releng,infra etc... ) are being properly communicated,informed and consulted with, in regards to any decision which directly affects them and the community surrounding them.

In the end of the day they ( as in all the supporting sig ) are the ones that will have to do all the work as well as allocate resources necessary to do it.

JBG