Re: Bundled Flash

On Fri, 2013-08-16 at 15:41 +0800, Christopher Meng wrote:
> WordPress?
>
> Not easy.

Two of the ones in wordpress are both in upload libraries - plupload and
swfupload. Both are present in the source tarball, it doesn't look like
they're built during source compile.

It looks like we could lift swfupload right out with consequences that
at least aren't fatal:

http://make.wordpress.org/core/2013/06/21/secure-swfupload/

"WordPress does not use SWFUpload, but we continue to include it in
WordPress core for plugins that have yet to be updated to use Plupload,
our upload library of choice."

I don't know how many plugins that affects, but at least not core
WordPress. The bad news is that, as that text mentions, Plupload is
Wordpress's "library of choice", and it's the other thing with a .swf
file. I don't have Flash installed here so I'm not sure how vital it is
to the functioning of the uploader, but it looks like it's just an
alternative:

http://www.plupload.com/

"Allows you to upload files using HTML5, Gears, Silverlight, Flash,
BrowserPlus or normal forms"

Noting the mention of Silverlight, the js/plupload directory contains
also contains plupload.silverlight.xap, which I'll wager is a
Silverlight blob.

I'd guess that the consequence of removing both .swf and .xap wouldn't
be deadly and the regular old 'boring' HTML uploaders would continue to
work, and recommend that we do that, and kill swfupload. I'm a sort of
stealth co-maintainer of wordpress using my provenpackager privileges,
but I don't use the upload functionality at all, so I'm reluctant to do
this - Remi, can you look at it at all? Thanks.

Wordpress 3.6 introduces the 'mediaelement' include, and that one has
yet another .swf and .xap:
wp-includes/js/mediaelement/flashmediaelement.swf ,
wp-includes/js/mediaelement/silverlightmediaelement.xap. We'll have to
deal with those too when bumping to 3.6.

http://mediaelementjs.com/ says "Instead of offering an HTML5 player to
modern browsers and a totally separate Flash player to older browsers,
MediaElement.js upgrades them with custom Flash and Silverlight plugins
that mimic the HTML5 MediaElement API.", and "HTML5 audio and video
players in pure HTML and CSS.", so I'm hopeful we can just kill the
blobs and not completely break stuff.

Oh, for the love of God, I just found one more:

wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/media/moxieplayer.swf

https://github.com/moxiecode/moxieplayer

somebody get me my gun. The inclusion of this crap in Wordpress is
working out precisely as well as you'd expect:

http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2013/Jun/256

Basically I think all of these are fallbacks of one kind or another, and
we could just yank them without hurting much. But further checking is
required.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey