Re: F20 System Wide Change: Perl 5.18

On 08/07/2013 03:01 AM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 13:39:31 -0700
Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 11:10 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:23:51 +0000 (UTC)
Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2013-06-12, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So, there's nothing preventing the side tag and rebuild anytime
now right? 5.18.0 is out, so we could start that work in
rawhide?=20

Currently 5.18.0 does not pass one test when running in mock and
koji. (It's because of the terminal usage in tested perl
debugger.) We think we could have solved this issue in a few days.

Cool.

Could you explain how the side tag inheritance works? It inherits
everything from rawhide, even builds made after the side tag
creation,

yes.

except packages whose builds have been already made in the side
tag. Am I right? That means we still get fresh third-party
dependencies from rawhide.

yes. However, there's are several downsides:

- Each side tag adds newrepo tasks which increases load a lot.
- If you rebuild perl-foo-1.0-1 in the side tag against the new
perl, then the maintainer has to fix something in rawhide, they
would build perl-foo-1.0-2 in rawhide and when the side tag was
merged back over either everyone would get the older one with the
bug, or the newer one against the old perl. So, it's really
important to not take a long time using a side tag to avoid this
problem as much as possible.

Seems like this one came true in practice. It seems like a 5.18
rebuild run was done in a side tag and then merged back into Rawhide.
Unfortunately, quite a lot of the 5.18 rebuilds seem to have been done
prior to the general F20 mass rebuild - so the mass rebuild won out,
and effectively squelched the perl rebuild.

The f20-perl tag was merged back before the mass rebuild was started.
so everything in the mass rebuild was built against the new perl.
however because the perl rebuild was at a week there was quite a few
packages rebuilt against the old perl. we need to work out how to build
perl quicker. your analysis is not really correct.

Dennis

If someone knows about a tool, which can give build order faster than Petr's tool, then it would help ;-)

Marcela