Re: Fedora as an crowd founded project an additional funding source to our sponsor

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:37:09PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 07/24/2013 12:15 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>> >On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 01:50:11AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> ><snip>
>> ><snip>
>> >
>> >The first issue that comes to mind (for me) is "who cuts the checks"?
>> >IOW, who is going to be the person responsible for the money itself, and
>> >who has oversight to ensure money's being properly managed and not
>> >siphoned off?
>>
>> We would need to form a financial sig that handles that.
>
> Are these people going to be paid for their efforts, since it's
> completely non-technical?

Why is being non-technical related in any way to paying someone to do it?

> I'm a board member for my kids' summer swim league. And our treasurer
> has to deal with writing checks for things like buying bulk swim caps,
> tshirts, meet supplies, reimbursing people for purchases made for the
> team, etc. And for 8 weeks of her life that's a lot to do.
>
> To then ask someone to do the same all year round as a volunteer for
> a _much_ larger group is probably not going to happen.

You just described a small part of what Ambassadors do now with the
exception of "cutting check." We do have three community members who
have been doing that for a long time now as well but the number who
are able to help in that way is limited by Red Hat's comfort level in
letting the community participate in making direct payments.

For the record I am not endorsing the proposed change here but do want
to take the opportunity to thank all the Fedora folks who actually
have been doing the work described above for their efforts over the
years and I hope more people will be aware of those efforts now.

John