Re: RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

Once upon a time, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> On 07/22/2013 06:52 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> >>Well I'm pretty sure your "We" there is not representive for the
> >>whole Fedora community...
> >I'm pretty sure yours is not representative either.  Now we both have
> >claims that can't be backed up.
> >
> >You seem to have some kind of issue with Red Hat and its employees.
>
> So me having my own opinions which does not align with Red Hat has
> now become an issue with Red Hat and it's employees.

I do not (nor have I ever) work for Red Hat.

> Last time I checked this project still allowed freedom of speech.

There is nothing constructive in your recurring attacks against Red Hat.
They don't do anything to further Fedora, so they don't belong here.

> >don't know (or really care) why, but please stop throwing rocks at them
> >on the Fedora mailing lists.
> >

> He states "Candidly, we want people to use both."
>
> I have absolutely no interest in our users base being using Fedora +
> RHEL and us our community work being called RHEL test bed users in
> the process.
>
> I'm only interesting in our userbase using Fedora, Red Hat can
> increase their contributor base by simply hiring them we do not...

Red Hat is the primary sponsor of the Fedora Project, and they base RHEL
on Fedora's development.  One of the Fedora goals is "First", which
brings rapid development.  That level of development is inherently not
appropriate for some types of installations, especially infrastructure
servers.  In those cases, it makes more sense for people who like the
environment of Fedora (rpm, yum, etc.) to use a slower-changing platform
like RHEL (or the community rebuilds like CentOS).

Some people tried to do a Fedora extended-life release, and there just
wasn't sufficient community support to keep it functional.  Fedora can't
try to be all things to all people; in cases where people like Fedora
but it can't meet their needs, pointing them to RHEL/CentOS, and trying
to help those projects, makes sense (as opposed to telling them to go
download some other distribution).

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>