Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

On Sat, 20.07.13 18:05, Lars E. Pettersson (lars@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On 07/15/2013 07:54 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >Well, we don't even install any MUA by default currently that would read
> >local mail spools.  Effectively, this means that currently the log output
> >of cronjobs is more or less lost.
>
> A user normally installs a MUA of their choice as one of the first
> things they do, so that a MUA is not installed by default should not
> be an issue. I.e. the output is not lost.

Well, assuming people use the local machine for reading their mails, and
not Thunderbird or so and not GMail and so on, or Zimbra or whatever
else people actually read mails with these days... None of these even do
local message reading.

> >By ensuring all logs go to the normal
> >log stream there's a much better chance of not losing messages...
>
> The problem is that this data can be quite voluminous. Perhaps a bad
> thing to clog up the logs with that?

Emails due to base64 encoding usually increase everything by 4/3, which
is certainly worse.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.