Re: RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

On Jul 22, 2013, at 7:38 AM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Whenever I go to a tech meetup or talk to someone from a new startup
> company, their developers are inevitably using a different (usually
> proprietary) desktop OS, plus a non-Fedora distribution on their code. We're
> being left behind and left out. It doesn't matter how theoretically great we
> are if we end up with no users.

It comes down to the proprietary OS "just works." Top on the list: lack of video problems on proprietary OS's compared to linux. Next, I'll guess it's HCI related, in that the world's users have decided interaction via GUI is not merely preferred, but required. If CLI is required, it's disqualifying (e.g. there's no GUI means of upgrading from Fedora 18 to 19).

Mac users are particularly fussy about the polish of the UI/X, not just that one is offered. Windows users likewise depends on the GUI for all things, but they're significantly more tolerant of exceptionally bad UI/UX. In any case, attracting a larger number of Windows and Mac users, it seems to me, will require a considerable change in emphasis on UI/UX standards.

Chris Murphy